Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Gotta Get Out by 12:00 p.m.

Warning...this is a vent! I recieved a note (anonymous) in my mailbox at church Sunday and it's been bugging me with what it said. here it is:

"I think you as the music director should consider shortening the amount of time for the singing, which in turn will give the pastor more time for his sermon so that he will not feel rushed and run the service past noon. In fairness to the pastor, he should be starting his message at or about 11:15 a.m.

Thank You.

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! sorry...well, no I'm not really. First off, I am not a "Music Director" I am a "Worship Pastor" you don't call the pastor a "sermon speaker" do you? Secondly, we don't (we shouldn't) just "sing" in church, it's worship! Read the Bible and understand what worship is and how long "services" were in Jesus' day! Maybe we should bring our lunches to church like many did back then and sleep at the church until all was said and done and not because it's getting close to noon. Personally, I don't wear a watch in church for this purpose. I don't care what time it is when worshipping. It's a spiritual immaturity to tell God we only have an hour and fifteen minutes for you this morning. It's also immature to say that a sermon is more important than the worship...it's all worship! This note was probably from some guy who doesn't like to sing and only comes to hear a message. I guess there isn't too many messages from Psalms he\she would enjoy if they don't care about worship through song.
anyways...that's my venting for the day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet man. i'm a big fan of bloggers. i'll keep an eye out for updates.

muzik said...

What he really is saying is that the sermon should not go past noon so he can beat the Methodists to the restaurant. Also, giving more time to the pastors sermon is defunct by the fact that he mentions leaving by noon. If he really wanted to give more time he would not have written noon. Let the pastor preach all day ya know. We all know the pastors never feel rushed and will take as much time as they want to say what God lays on their hearts.

David Richardson said...

This post is AWESOME!!! I love it. I'm sorry you had to put up with that ridiculous letter. Hang in there, Bro! David Richardson