Monday, November 5, 2007

The Not So Popular Bible Characters #2

Ham - (Genesis 9:18-29) read it here

This is one of my favorite stories because Christians are too embarrassed to talk about it because of Noah being a drunk naked man!

After the flood, Noah planted a vineyard (v.20) and when the harvest came he made some wine and got drunk on it! (I'm sorry but this wine must not of been grape juice if he got drunk) anyways, about Ham...Ham walked in on his father while he was passed out naked on the floor and he didn't do anything to hide the shame. Ham went and told his brothers. Shem and Japheth covered there father with a blanket. When Noah woke up (probably with a hangover!) he cursed Ham and decreed that his descendants will be slaves to the other brother's descendants!
When we see someone we care about doing something stupid, sinful, etc. what do we do? Are we like Ham and tell others about it? or are we like Shem and Japheth that realized the problem, helped the individual, and did not involve themselves in gossip or mockery. Something to think about!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey bill. turns out i was in dowling park, florida. do you know of it?

Bill Blackrick said...

right along the Suwanee River I believe...never been there though, I live a bit further down the coast!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that we are all a bit of both. I would hope I would cover my father up and let it be.