Friday, November 30, 2007

I Couldn't Help But Listen # 2

Yesterday I was enjoying another tea from Starbucks. Although the conversations were not as shocking as before, here's what I observed. I play guitar...I have been playing for about 8 years now. I say that to say this...don't bring your guitar to Starbucks and serenade people trying to enjoy life sans off tune singing of Metallica and Collective Soul classics. The instance of this particular socially ignorant group of guys brought back annoying memories of college. It seemed everywhere you went on campus there was someone, or group of people strumming away...the cafeteria while I was cramming for Dr. Lee tests, the gym, the dorm lobbies during football games, etc. My issue is not that I hate guitars, but please don't subject everyone to it in a public place!

Another interesting observation I had was from a Starbucks employee on her cigarette break. It kills me that Starbucks would allow their employees to go outside, sit next to customers and smoke. The image of sophistication goes down the drain when the first thing a patron sees is the employees wafting smoke in their faces. employees should have a designated place out back to do this. I also don't like hearing about their urine test results from last week! no...I'm not kidding! This employee said something else that related to the "Name Brand Association" of Starbucks. While she was on the phone with her friends, she never mentioned she was "at work" when people asked her location...she said "I'm at Starbucks" Starbucks has become a lifestyle, a household name, etc. that even the employee didn't refer to it as work! I thought that was interesting.

4 comments:

Joel Snyder said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Avatar1639 said...

Hey it's matt whaley,
Here's the thing, Starbucks is for douchebags that's why it is predominantly populated by douchebags. I realize that not everyone who goes there is a douchebag, but it was designed for douchebags and so you can't get away from them. I hate Starbucks.

Bill Blackrick said...

very funny matt

Jake Belder said...

Hey Bill, thanks for visiting my blog. And also, thanks for many more reasons to avoid Starbucks. I always like those.