Monday, October 1, 2007

The Graham Formula Book Review


As often as I can I enjoy reading a good book. This one wasn't that great but had some truths that need to be affirmed to everyone. The overall theme of this book was about the dangers of "alter call" evangelism made popular by early evangelist like Billy Sunday and Charles Finney. This book addressed the need for personal counseling of individual while leading them to a "born again" experience. Salvation is more than "coming down the isle" and reciting the "sinner's prayer" it is a decision of the heart that transforms the life of the individual. Pat McIntyre uses the Billy Graham formula that SALVATION + COUNSELING + FOLLOW UP = DECISION and that only about 25% of these result in a true salvation experience.
The issue I have with some of this guy's beliefs are that he feels that all evangelism holds true to this model and that someone can't truly be saved by saying a prayer. He states that he has a hard time believing that a missionary can preach one sermon and a whole tribe converts! I refer to the thief on the cross who only asked for Jesus to remember him in paradise! Did Jesus tell him he must go through counseling and have a follow-up before he would be saved? NO!!!
Evangelism is different for everyone. Some people need years of counseling before a decision is made, while others only need to hear the gospel once for it to change their lives forever. I will agree that it is vital to the life of new believers to receive discipleship from a church but to say that a true decision is only made by the above formula is wrong. What's your view on evangelism?

1 comment:

muzik said...

I'm relational in my approach to EV. I do think there is a time and place for specific ways and you need to adapt them to your situation. i have seen our youth grow in numbers but no students have shown a desire about wanting to know more about salvation and Jesus. Am I doing something wrong? Well... maybe... but then I remember it's the Holy Sprit that leads people to Jesus. I am but the messenger. I will share and share and know that His word will not come back void.