Monday, December 3, 2007

A Movement In The Church


A rather remarkable thing happened in the services at my church yesterday...for the first time, I felt like the Spirit was moving among the congregation during worship! I added a few "contemporary" songs in the sets and they (congregation) took to them rather well. I was surprised to see hands being raised and worshipful expressions on people's faces. It got me thinking last night as I was sleeping about the whole "traditional" vs. "contemporary" music battle in the church.

I love the old hymns, I love praise music just as much; but most of all I love God-honoring, and worship-worthy (I'll get into that later). I heard a good quote from a speaker on this subject once. He was a pastor and was confronted by some old-time, hymnal loving deacons that they don't like the new stuff the "song leader" (I hate that title) was singing in church. The pastor asked the deacons..."When did worship become all about what you like???" I liked that because it is so true. Many people have worshipped the song style and not worshipped God through the songs.

I make it a point to explain that the hymns we sing today were once the new "contemporary" songs of the day when they were written. In fact, many tunes that hymn words are sung to are not even Christian but secular tunes! In my studies in hymnology I even learned that some of the tunes in our hymnals were actually bar\tavern dance tunes!

Here's a question for you...When you turn on the radio, do you hear the same music over and over again for years and years (excluding oldies stations) No, people come out with new music for people to listen to...Does God want to listen to oldies all day long in Heaven? Although oldies can be goodies, I think that God wants to hear some of the new stuff because He wrote the music anyways when you think about it! I'm going to spend some time in my postings on this subject of worship and the many aspect of it. Hope this is helpful to you all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your comments today. The church needs to be more open to fresh praise to go along with the hymns we all know and love. My church worship team just released an album of original contemporary praise songs - it is awesome. More churches do need to be more creative!

Bill Blackrick said...

Thanks David...It's exciting to see people get excited about God

Anonymous said...

Yea. Traditional vs Contemporary- the age old question. But it really comes down to this, doesn't it: "have you come with a broken heart? - with all your mind, soul, and strength, in the power of the Holy Spirit and in the Authority of Jesus. Will you come running into the arms of the Father, only to realize that you are being chased by the one you intimately pursue."

Thanks for the shout out friend. I'll gladly add you to my blogroll.

Bill Blackrick said...

right on CG! and thanks for checking out my blog

Darryl said...

MDT,

I've enjoyed your blog for the past few months, and thought I'd respond to this post.

In the past few years, I've noticed and appreciated musicians and worship leaders taking the great, classic hymns and leading them in a contemporary style or infusing them with praise choruses.

CG is on the money. It's the state of the heart that matters most . . . not the style of the song.

BTW . . . one of my favorites of the past few years is "In Christ Alone"(Townsend/Getty, a new song in the style of a hymn. It has also become a favorite of the fairly contemporary church to which I belong.

Thanks for the post . . . I look forward to more on the topic!
Darryl

Bill Blackrick said...

interesting you say that Darryl...my choir just sang that song in service this past sunday morning!