Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My Favorite Hymn and Praise Song

So going along with yesterday, I thought it appropriate to talk about my favorite hymn and praise song. Of course I love almost all the hymns and a good majority of the praise songs two stand out to me.

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

This hymn is probably my favorite. The words go as follows:
A mighty fortress is our God, A bulwark never failing.
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe
His craft and power are great, and armed with cruel hate
on earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing.
were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God's own choosing:
dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus it is He,
Lord Sabaoth His name from age to age the same
and He must win the battle

And tho' this world with devils filled, should threaten to undo us.
we will not fear for God hath willed His truth to triumph thro' us:
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him
his rage we can endure, for lo his doom is sure
One little world shall fell him

That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them abideth.
The spirit and the gifts are ours, thro' Him who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also
the body they may kill, God's truth abideth still.
His kingdom is forever!

It is true we are in a daily spiritual battle. Martin Luther wrote that hymn by the way. No matter what struggles, foes, wars, or principalities of darkness may come our way, God's truth abides in us that we will overcome them because Christ has overcome them.

Let My Words Be Few (I Stand In Awe)
This song is very moving to me. When I was learning the guitar I wanted to write amazing songs. The love song was always the hardest to write. Here are the words:

You are God in Heaven, and here am I on earth.
So I let my words be few
Jesus I am so in Love with You.

And I stand in awe of You, Jesus
Yes I stand in awe of You.
And I let my words be few,
Jesus I am so in love with You.

The simplest of all love songs I want to bring to You
so I let my words be few
Jesus I am so in love with You.

Wow...It's great to know that we don't have to come up with some amazing, smart, heart-melting words of affirmation to make God feel loved. All we have to say to Him is "I love You" I especially love the lyric...the simplest of all love songs...that says it all.

So there you have it. Two completely different styles of music, but one act of worship. Tell me your favorite hymn(s) and praise song(s)

No comments: