Saturday, February 23, 2008

I'm Up Before the Firing Squad Today!

Tomorrow Evening at 6:00 p.m. I will be taking the next step in my ministry and becoming ordained. Many have chosen to be ordained before entering college and their first "jobs" at a church but I chose to wait. I had never been approached with being ordained by any of the churches I had been a part of and I feel it is the duty of the church to recognize, nominate and ordain someone. I've always felt that if I was the one to bring it up or ask to be ordained it would be selfish.
Today is my ordination counsel here at church. I'll be sharing with other pastors, deacons of the church, and others about my testimony, call to ministry, education goals, theological beliefs (which is the part I'm worried about answering...I know what I believe, but some of my views aren't the traditional Southern Baptist's), and whatever else they decide to hurl my way.
When someone gets ordained there is a orientation of praise, recognition of achievement, etc. and I don't want that. Yes I will have the "REV." before my name from now on, but it's a prefix I don't want to flaunt around like some in the media light do. Anyways...I hope I come out alive!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray all goes well for you.

Bill Blackrick said...

thanx PP

Monk-in-Training said...

Almighty and everlasting God, by Whose Spirit the whole body of Your faithful people is governed and sanctified, receive our supplications and prayers, which we offer before You for all members of Your holy Church, and especially at this time for your servant Bill Blackrick, that in his vocation and ministry he may truly and devoutly serve You; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Who lives and reigns with You in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Bill Blackrick said...

I appreciate that monk-in-training