Monday, February 18, 2008

Psalms, Hymns, and Contemporary Music!

In Ephesians 5:19-21, there is a great doctrine for worship music in churches. Many times I am approached by someone reminding me about a particular style of music they like to sing in church. I have blogged about this topic before, but it is a never-ending battle I deal with so I'll mention it again. We come to worship to worship God, not fulfill our fleshly desires. What! wanting to sing only gospel or hymns is a fleshly desire? Absolutely. It is commanded in Scripture to sing to the Lord all types of song which glorify Him. I am one of the few worship leaders who actually incorporate a true blended style of worship in the services. I feel there is great doctrine and theology in the hymns we sing, I also feel there are great contemporary songs which are based on Scripture too. I have been studying the book of Psalms recently and have read it in an entirely new way then ever before. Since Psalms was the "hymnal" back in the day, I have been reading the texts while trying to come up with a tune to go with it. Some are harder than others. It is easy just to sing familiar tunes that have already been put to them like Third Day's version of Psalm 36. if you've never tried this before I encourage you to, it has really made me enjoy the Psalms even more.
Anyways...the verses in Ephesians give the importance of using all types of songs for worship. It could be translated today as being "singing old gospel songs, hymns, and praise music! While studying hymnology in school, I learned that some of the hymns we sing today are from old tavern tunes in which the church set the words to to help people learn them. That's always been funny to me. Do you agree that wanting to sing only one type of music because it is what YOU prefer is a fleshly desire?

2 comments:

Jake Belder said...

I think so. God has created people so diverse, and it's really awesome. Cultural/ethnic/national diversity means that there are also tons of different types of music. I think each of them are equally legitimate for worshiping God, although I acknowledge that some are less prudent for doing so from a strictly technical viewpoint.

Trying to defend your personal preference of music from a theological standpoint is just plain ridiculous. Like you said, the Bible lays down no real guidelines for this. On the contrary, it encourages a variety of expressions of worship! Good post, Bill.

Bill Blackrick said...

thans Jake, I also agree that not all songs are the most prudent for a worship setting